September 20, 2010

challah good







While living in San Francisco, my husband would woo me with a delicious brunch while we lazed about the morning & read the Sunday paper. His challah french toast won a big place in my heart, as well as my stomach. Somewhere along the way we began going out for brunch more, & our at-home repertoire went the way of fritattas & omelets. 

I was very excited this past weekend the mixing bowls & nutmeg grater appeared out of the cupboards, & the heady aroma of french toast filled the house. He's still got it.

challah french toast
a husbandly treat

challah bread, sliced  about 1 inch thick
4 eggs
splash milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
freshly ground nutmeg to taste

Lightly beat the eggs. Add a splash of milk, cinnamon & nutmeg, mixing well.

Heat a Tbsp. of light oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When a drop of water splashed on the skillet sizzles & disappears, dip slices of bread in the egg mixture one at a time, covering each piece well, & place on skillet. Cook each side until golden brown, & serve immediately with fresh butter & maple syrup.


3 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I can smell that from here! I baked a little this weekend, it was a disaster...ever ytime I use a Martha Stewart recipe, it goes wrong. bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I've had the same experience with a lot of Martha Stewart recipes - sometimes I think she does it purposely :)

    Tera, indeed :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by - your comments make my day!