December 14, 2010

ladies who dine





This month the fare was festive, & although the weather an unwelcoming wintry mix of snow, rain & sleet, a few intrepid ladies made the trek into town with a wonderful array of delicious appetizers & small bites.

We had a cozy time grazing & sipping prosecco in our friend's snug & stylish home, getting a tour of the loveliest nursery I've ever laid eyes on (to be occupied any day now by a sweet baby girl), & helping a couple of friends decide which tropical oceanside locale would be their destination for a winter getaway (yes, I'm jealous!).

It being that time of year, I made a couple of loaves of a holiday stand-by: a deep, dark chocolate pâté. Happy holidays - enjoy!

classic chocolate pâté

14 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
5 Tbsp sweet cream butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
6-8 Tbsp dark rum or 4 Tbsp cognac  I prefer cognac

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate with the heavy cream & butter until smooth & glossy. Sift in the sugar slowly & stir in until fully incorporated. Remove from heat & let cool slightly; fold chocolate mixture into the eggs & stir to mix well. Stir in rum or cognac.


Pour into a small loaf pan that has been buttered & lined with wax paper. Freeze until set. Serve at room temperature with fresh whipped cream, shortbreads & dried &/or fresh fruit. Refrigerate remainder for up to 1 week.

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate pate sounds wonderful, indeed. I only recently tried regular pate and was disappointed that I didn't like it. In fact, it is the only food in my adult life that I really have found unappealing. But chocolate pate is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being a vegetarian, chocolate is the pate for me. well, chocolate anything is really the thing for me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by - your comments make my day!